As part of my ongoing 700SPS Rifle Accurising project, I knew from the outset that I was going to be replacing the trigger. The X-Mark Pro has had bad reviews – hell – they even recalled many of them – so, even without bothering to fire it, I replaced the trigger.
I was initially thinking of using a Jewell instead of a Timney Trigger, but then considering a Jewell was going to cost me around $550 to $600 – I thought, keeping in line with the rest of the build (mid-priced) that the Timney would be the more appropriate option, and the Jewell can go in the future, custom build.
Install is simple enough – it just takes punching out a couple of pins, putting the new trigger in and then replacing them. My biggest challenge is hunting down a trigger scale to set it at 1.5lbs.
I am no gunsmith, but in about an hour and it was done. I needed to take a little out of the stock where the adjustment screw for the Timney Trigger was pushing up against the stock – I don’t like the idea of ‘jamming’ something into fit. But a little bit of work with the Dremel, and we were done.
Even without shooting it, the feel of the trigger is much better.
Here is a good link to a great article about Timney and it’s production methods. It’s a great article – and a very organised and tidy looking workshop!
I picked the trigger up from Julian at Workshop Innovation.
Edit: Julian and Workshop Innovation pointed out, that while it was good I used a rubber mallet – I should probably also look into some brass pin punches as well.