Well, I already have an article on that, but, there is a little confusion about the process out there at the moment, especially with the changes in the application process and the incorporation of a new practical element.
Renew or Reapply?
(3) A person who is the holder of a firearms licence may, before the expiration of that firearms licence, apply for a new firearms licence.1
So, technically, there is no such thing as a renewal. You are reapplying for a licence.
As such, much of the process is the same.
- Download and fill in the form – available here
- Pay the application fee at a local postshop ($126.50)
- Get two mugshots of yourself
- Deliver all this to the police (I would suggest your local arms-office) – make sure you take:
- Your application
- Proof of payment
- Two recent passport style photos
- Three documents to prove your identity
- Your existing firearms licence
- Once this is lodged, the AO will contact you to organise an interview and security check
- An AO will come out, interview you, and your references (just like the first time) and check your security is still in place
- While the AO is there, when reapplying, you will get asked a series of questions, that you can find on the back page of the application form
The theory test and the new practical training
The biggest question I get asked – is, ‘when I ‘renew’ my licence – do I need to go through the practical training?’
No – there is currently no requirement to do so, nor do you have to sit the theory test.
When reapplying for the license – you instead have to answer the questions on the back of the application with an AO.
So. The process is very similar to a new application, however, instead of the theory and practical test, you answer the questions for the AO during the interview.
This is the process if you have a current firearms licence, and want to ‘renew’ or reapply for a new one, while the existing one is still valid2 – if you let the licence expire, or, you have the licence taken away from you – you may be required to go through the full process.
<span class="amended-provision">Section 23(3)</span>: <span class="amending-operation">added</span>, on <span class="amendment-date">1 November 1992</span>, by <a target="_blank" id="DLM1846121" class="amending-provision" href="http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1983/0044/latest/link.aspx?id=DLM278379" name="DLM278379">section 8</a> of the <span class="amending-leg">Arms Amendment Act 1992</span> (1992 No 95). ↩
get in early folks! ↩