+64 21 2900 333 - kerry@thebloke.co.nz

Bumps and Blasphemy!

Kerry Adams
Kerry Adamshttps://thebloke.co.nz
A constant learner with an inquisitive mind, Kerry created The Bloke as a way to share what he was learning from the community of experts he found himself surrounded by. Somewhere along the line, he picked up one or two things himself. But don't call him an expert.
  • thebloke.co.nz
video

Find out a bit more about my background and how I do things on my sites. Information about reviews, knowledge, courses and more. Click to watch!

 

AirFilters

Throttle Linkage, and blasphemy!

Another part that I had been meaning to fix (and really needed to) was the throttle linkage. After my last session tuning the carbs; I realised the throttle linkage had a split on the ball joint holding it on one end. Some gaffa tape had temporarily fixed it, but I knew I needed to do something a little more permanent.

I figured, since I was pulling that back out, and would likely need to rebalance the carbs again, I might as well replace something else that was bugging me – the half rusted air filer case taking up half the rear of the engine bay. I had replaced the air filters – but the whole thing was starting to fall apart, and was rather, well, inelegant. Yes, I know, there is a reason it was originally made like that – but I plan on getting some dust/water covers for them when I go off road.

Because the original air box also provided some support for the intake pipes, I have temporarily hose clamped them on (just to keep the filters up from sitting on the engine – but have a slightly nicer plan to make up a couple of brackets to hold them up.

Don’t ask me if its going to help or hurt fuel consumption. It’s an old V8. It sucks like… well – an old V8.

Suspension

Reducing the bumps – shocks and dampers

I have already replaced the Springs, replacing the standard ones with parabolic ones – which really meant I should replace the shocks with ones designed for the lift the springs had given the truck. Realistically, the units in the rear were never the right ones for there – managing to hold about half a litre of water permanently in them. Most of which I wore when we finally got them off – because  you guessed it, the bolts were seized on there. The steering damper needed to be replaced – it was essentially sitting there doing nothing – so I either needed to cut it off completely or replaced – and given the nature of the truck – I viewed a steering dampener as a good thing.

So, another round of fixes – up next – the saga of the brake lines!

Sharing is caring...

If you found this article useful, you probably know others that would find it useful as well. Sharing it helps us immeasurably as the world of social media is not always that friendly to us sites that feature firearms. Organic sharing makes sure all this juicy content doesn’t get lost in the noise.

  • gunsafe.co.nz
  • gunsafe.co.nz

Latest Articles

  • precisionshooter.co.nz

Related reading...